25 years service to
the Rugby League


The competitions top two try scoring teams met in the south of France as a well supported Wigan Warriors looked to take second spot off their greatest rivals St Helens, while the Dragons knew that a win would take them four points clear and one step closer to the minor premiership.

Perpignan had not been the happiest of hunting grounds for the Warriors in recent times but there was great anticipation of a close match between two fiery sides. It would go some way to determining the final league positions for the play offs, but the bookies had established the home side as the favourites prior to kick off.

Temperatures in the south of France had chilled a little but the stands were red hot as the two sides entered the stadium.

Jai Field went close of four minutes but was tackled centimetres short of the line when it looked like he would open the scoring.

Abbas Miski  grounded a Bevan French grubber on nine after the kick caused confusion in the Dragons defence. Harry Smith was wide with the boot and the scoreline didn’t improve for the visitors, Smith seemingly struggling with the boot again.

The Dragons were awarded a penalty for a high tackle, but great Wigan defence kept the Dragons at bay. 

Wigan were in for their second on twenty-two as Toby King took a a Miski pasa after the winger rose to take a Smith kick to the corner, nothing wrong with Smith’s in game kicking. Smith was on target with the conversion for a 10-0 lead.

Wigan were awarded a penalty for an obstruction on the half hour mark, Smith again off target from ten metres in from the left wing.

Bevan French bounced off three tacklers before reversing over the line and grounding for the third Wigan try of the evening. Smith added the conversion this time for a 16-0 lead.

A second Miski try, with just a few seconds left on the first half clock edged the Warriros closer to an important victory. Smith added the conversion for 22-0 at the interval. Wigan not letting the Dragons into the game.

It was business as usual at the start of the second half when Miski was on the end of a passing move to cross in the right hand corner for his hat-trick try. Smith was on target with the boot for 28-0.

Jake Wardle continued the Warriors devastating evening as he collected the ball off a Dragons hand after an attempted intercept to round under the sticks. Smith hit the target again from in front of the sticks for 34-0, the Dragons humiliation was complete.

The size of this win for the Warriors cannot be underestimated. It lifts them into second spot in the table, above near neighbours St Helens and just two points behind the Dragons, waiting to pounce should they slip up again over the closing rounds. Wigan showed no mercy, and frustrated the home side who had a bad day at the office.

Catalans Dragons: Tomkins, Johnstone, Keighran, Romano, Davies, Pearce, May, McMeeken, McIlorum, Navarrete, Whitley, Seguier. Subs: Mourgue, Bousquet, Taukeiaho, Ma’u. 18th Man: Goudemand.

Wigan Warriors: Field, Miski (3T), King (T), Wardle (T) Marshall, French (T), Smith (4G), Ellis, O’Neill, Byrne, Pearce-Paul, Farrell, Smithies. Subs: Powell, Mago, Nsemba, Dupree. 18th Man: Shorrocks.

Scoreline Advance: 0-4, 0-8, 0-10, 0-14, 0-16, 0-20, 0-22 : HT: 0-26, 0-28, 0-32, 0-34 : FT.

Lead Exchanges: Wigan.

Referee: Liam Moore.

facebook sharing button
twitter sharing button
pinterest sharing button
email sharing button
sharethis sharing button

Posted by RLFANS News Hound on Sat 26th Aug 2023 7:50 PM | Views : 5482 | Replies : 0 | BACK TO STORIES